Birchgrove RFC | 1st Team 27 - 7 Pyle RFC | 1st Team
Joshua Key
Try 1
Nicholas Fisher
Conversion 1
Try 1
Jamie Lee Rees
Try 1
Scott Beard
Try 1
Callum Owen
Try 1

Match Report
21 January 2018 / Team News


Pyle came to Parc Bedw with a fearsome reputation built up over their last seven victorious league games on the trot amassing 320 points at an average of 45 per game and conceding per game an average of only 17. We were the last team to lower their colours with our away victory on 14th October

They and their “partisan” supporters left however with their tails between their legs as they were given a comprehensive lesson in total Rugby by a Birchgrove side playing to their full potential in all quarters and aspects of the game returning yet another bonus point  (12 bonuses on the trot now !!) 27 . 7 victory.

It took only 6 minutes for the home side to stamp their authority on the game as sound ball management at the breakdown created a steady stream of good ball allowing the back row trio of Josh Key, R J Di’luilio and Jamie Rees aided and abetted by direct centres Adam Percival and Gareth Morris  plenty of opportunity to inch towards the opposition line.

With what is now becoming typical tactical timing Leigh Di’luilio and Liam Garland combined to unleash Adam Percival in to some space, a quick offload to Lee Harris and an unselfish inside pass to the supporting Nick Fisher put the first try on the board 5. 0

Two minutes later the wind was again taken out of the opposition and their shocked supporters as some loose tackling in midfield allowed the always elusive Lee Harris, off his wing and looking for work, to spin out of a half-hearted tackle. The punishment was swift and well executed as Harris made the initial yards and then proved try maker again this time for right wing Callum Owen. Nick Fisher converted from the touchline and the traumatised opposition were 12. 0 behind.

Pyle tried to hit back and their scrum, which was even in these early stages looking ineffective against the home side, did try to create a foothold near the home line but a mixture of sound first line defence and poor decision making allowed Birchgrove to comfortably weather this short lived revival.

So it was back to the norm for Birchgrove as they now found themselves encamped on the visiting line after more strong combination play. A driving scrum almost brought another score but some mis- handling over the line brought some respite for Pyle. It was not long though before pressure told once more and having won back a turnover ball the home pack decided to collectively steam roller over the opposition line with Jamie Rees touching down (not his customary 85 yarder !!) but try number three in the bag 17.0

With Birchgrove now firmly in the driving seat Pyle suffered the quick loss of two props (Police are looking for snipers in the vicinity) and you could visibly see the look of relief on their pack as the referee reverted to Passive Scrums. With the high intensity of the Birchgrove scrum now neutered the game lost a bit of its competitive edge and a little home lapse of concentration in midfield handed Pyle a try from their only credible line of attack, a marauding counter attack, as speedy centre David Pound take advantage to run in a thirty yard try converted by Will Gallivant to offer some hope with the score at 17 – 7.half time.

The second half was to bring more of the same though for the home team. With the forwards rampant in the loose with James Evans, Rob Green and Callum Llewellyn fighting for every ball and the Line out variations of Scott Beard and Tom Downing continuing to create a free supply of ball the handling movement and angle running of the backs was quite awesome to watch in such poor conditions.

You thought from the line the bonus try was inevitable and it was soon to come. After a number of sorties on the visiting line being repelled by desperate defence a number of combinations failed to breach the line until a determined drive gave Josh Key an opportunity to add to his try count and go over in the corner. 22 – 7

With the game in the bag there was only one more score left in the game but What a Score !! It must surely go down as one of the best combination tries to grace this ground for many a year. It all started quite innocently with Nick Fisher fielding a Pyle relieving kick in his own half and sweeping out a long pass to Rob Green who had built up a sufficient head of steam to carry things on to the opposition 10 yard line. What followed was truly mesmerising Rugby as a sweeping move from left to right saw the ball pass through about fifteen hands, inside and out including Josh Key, Adam Percival Lee Harris, R J Di’luilio, Callum Llewellyn, Nick Fisher, some twice and apologies for those I may have left out, before Scott Beard in his second appearance in the move had the satisfaction of finishing off the move of the match and maybe the season. Final Score 27 – 7.

A fantastic effort which puts us in a commanding position at the top of the league, an amazing 20 points ahead of nearest rivals Swansea Uplands who have only one game in hand and 21 points ahead of Porthcawl with three games in hand.

A powerful position to be in and well deserved.



There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos