Birchgrove RFC | 1st Team 45 - 13 Bridgend Sports Club RFC | 1st Team
Joshua Key
Try 2
James Samuel Evans
Try 1
Scott Beard
Try 1
Callum Llewellyn
Try 1
Nicholas Fisher
Conversion 4
Try 2
Lee Harris
Conversion 1

Match Report
05 November 2017 / Team News


Bridgend Sports came to Parc Bedw today with a reputation for playing good open Rugby but they were outclassed in that Department by a superlative display of controlled Rugby  from the home side bringing a haul of seven tries to one.

It was Bridgend though who had the liveliest start making steady ground through their two lofty second rows disrupting the normally sound Birchgrove line out and with an appetite to run the ball easily through their backs. Pressure soon brought them a penalty reward converted by their full back Josh Davies  0 – 3.

Birchgrove slowly came out of their shell though and a classic handling move started in their own half was to bring the first try of the game. Callum Llewellyn, enjoying a good game in tight and loose took on the first line of visiting defence and deftly rode a tackle at the same time slipping the ball neatly to his supporting front row  partner in crime Rob Green. Adam Percival and Liam Garland helped the ball on and a quickly delivered ball from the ruck saw Garland in the move again to move on to Scott Beard who scored , Nick Fisher converted 7 – 3.

Sports were still showing their own open initiative though and also were managing to thwart the free flowing running of the home side and it was they who were next to score again a penalty from the boot of full back Davies 7 – 6.

You sensed however that Birchgrove and their open style was going to get the better of this game and a succession of ruck ball phases expertly controlled by the loose forwards allowed the halfbacks Leigh Di’liuilo and Liam Garland supported by the blossoming centre partnership of Adam Percival and Luke Beynon to dictate the pace of play and obtain a foothold on the opposition line.  A structured scrum put the visitors under pressure and James Evans (I can’t call him evergreen again, let’s say ageless !) was on hand to sneak over. Fisher again on target 14 – 6

With Birch in the driving seat, the Sports to their credit were still happy to probe in open fashion but the home side had the measure of them and were happy to build attacks from their own half with Nick Fisher and wings Lee Harris and Rob John alert to any opportunities to break and with eager forward support from Josh Key, Tom Downing R J Di’liulio and the skippy Rob Green pirouetting out of tackles it was only a matter of time before the try count would increase.

Sure enough as half time was approaching it was the home side who extended their lead and to prove the diversity of the whole effort despite several sorties in to opposition territory by the now marauding back division it was the front row society through tight head Callum Llewellyn who was to claim the try and Fisher with good judgement of the swirling wind the conversion 21 – 6.

The second half started off with more Birchgrove enterprise as Scott Beard chose to palm the kick off ball on to an approaching colleague and retain momentum rather than take the more static safe catch option and again Birch were on the front foot. The ensuing ruck ball was soon winding it’s way quickly across with back line and Nick Fisher was in in the corner for try number 4, no conversion but the bonus point secured 26 -6.

The Sports were now playing damage limitation rugby and the home side had the scent of a big win and even started to take one or two liberties with some Harlem Globetrotter balls near to the visitor’s line. Sanity prevailed though and after another succession of repelled surges to the line the weight of numbers finally saw Sports defence stretched and Nick Fisher was again on the end of a flashing backs move to register try number five which he also converted  33 – 6.

As is the way with these type of games there was always going to be a temporary chink in the home side’s armour and with their defence, overcommitted to another assault on the Sports line, they found themselves stretched as a handling error presented Bridgend with a chance to break out. As befits an outfit with a reputation for enterprise they took full advantage quickly making space for their N0 10 Darren Lewis to outstrip the home defence and touch down under the posts. Davies converted 33-13

Birchgrove though wasted no time in getting back to business and a further two tries picked up by the powerful Josh Key,  to make the top try scorer board very interesting, plus a conversion from Lee Harris  brought the game to a close at 45 -13.

A thoroughly compressive and all round team result. Well done lads , Briton Ferry away next week.

I must also mention that the game and the mood was tarnished a little towards the end as the Bridgend Sports  left wing took a nasty fall whilst collecting a kick out which we understand has resulted in a multiple fracture of his leg. We wish him well and a speedy recovery and well done to the medical support teams and officials from both sides who kept him comfortable until he was able to be transported to hospital





There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos