Abercrave RFC | 1st Team 13 - 24 Birchgrove RFC | 1st Team
Callum Llewellyn
1 Try
Robert Green
2 Try
Leigh Di'iulio
1 Try
Nicholas Fisher
2 Conversion

Match Report
16 March 2018 / Team News


You know it’s not going to be an easy game when you travel to Abercrave !  Add in the unforgiving ingredients of driving rain and a swirling wind, a cold Wednesday night, boys held up on the motorway and it ain’t going to get any easier !!!

So as Abercrave, with the benefit of the wind, lurched out of the blocks with some energy it was no surprise that they were to take the lead with an early penalty 3 – 0.

With the pressure remaining intense it took a huge defensive effort with the redoubtable Adam Percival, dogged scrum half Leigh Di’iulio and live wire Rob Green to the fore to keep knocking back the marauding locals. Slowly but surely though, Birchgrove,  sometimes with their close passing game but also aided and abetted with a Nick Fisher and Richard Cunnife kicking alternative started to get a grip on the game.

So having weathered the conditions and the vigour of the home side attack it was pleasing for the visiting crowd to see Birchgrove go in 3 – 5 in the lead courtesy of a piece of Rob Green opportunism. A smart try from a quick tap penalty perversely won after losing an attacking line out advantage. But on the night Job half done !

Second half with the wind advantage was going to be much easier, well you would think so, until some ill-conceived kicking and passing presented the home side with an opportunity to break from defence. Punishment was swift and spectacular as the home wing sprinted the length of the field to register a converted try 8 -5.

Birchgrove were quick to bounce back though and with a determined strategy of looking to play the game in the opposition half, the second try of the night came for Rob Green, sneaking in after some concerted forward pressure.  Nick Fisher added the conversion 8 -12.

The mould was now set and more of the same was to bring try number three for prop Callum Llewellyn before Josh Key and Leigh D’I’iulio combined for the scrum half to go over for the bonus try. Nick Fisher converted to provide a comfort cushion at 8 -24.

The Abercrave curse was not fully laid to rest though as they bounced back with a late try from a driving maul but too late to affect the result. Final score 13 -24.

Nicely set up now for the next game which is the big one. It would be great to go to Millionaire’s Row and take the spoils against a Swansea Uplands team who as far as I am aware we have not beaten in league competition.

Saturday 24th March, not to be missed!


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos